Objective: Create a mutual base understanding of the business, needs, and goals—uncovering problems with the current brand and website.
Deliverable: I developed a research questionnaire and worked with the owners to help translate their business, problems, clients, values, feelings, and perceptions into written words that would serve as references and guidelines.
Result: For this particular project, we identified that the business has an outdated identity and website that do not effectively reflect the business and its values, which strains client trust and engagement—resulting in less work and revenue.
Objective: Understand the client's visual language, bridge the gap between our ideas, and agree on a design direction.
Deliverable: With some additional research into competitors, industries, and inspirations, I transformed the assembled information into two different stylescapes, which are curated collections of images, textures, typography, and colors to communicate a certain look and feel of a brand.
Result: The stylescape titled, "Trustworthy Elegance," was chosen. It focused on keywords: luxury, reliability, trust, and elegance. The majority of their customers were identified as middle-aged and older homeowners of 1 to 20 million dollar homes who often worked in big tech. Inspiration was based on the interior design industry of luxury homes in the San Francisco Bay Area. Colors were chosen to suggest cleanliness, trust, and home materials, like marble, stone, wood, ceramic, and carpet. Photography focused on craftsmanship in beautiful home spaces .
Objective: Create an identity based on the chosen stylescape.
Deliverable: I drafted a few versions with mockup applications and short descriptions—to help the co-owners better visualize and understand the thought process behind each one.
Result: Through discussions, feedback, and a few revisions, the co-owners selected the one that best reflected themselves metaphorically and incorporated military service stripes—representative of their background as military veterans.
Objective: Building content strategy and incorporating it into the website redesign to effectively encourage client engagement.
Deliverables: I built content strategy by identifying the website's value proposition, creating user stories, and forming a brief top-down information architecture. It aimed to identify user obstacles and solutions that help solve them.
For this particular project, my web development tools were limited to a web builder provided by a business partnership with Prostone. Due to the web builder's limited features, I was unable to have the freedom of sketching ideas, designing mockups, and building prototypes from scratch. I had to work with the web builder's capabilities. Referencing the content strategy from the previous step, I outlined a general structure of each page and used components provided by the web builder to fill in and design each part. I built prototypes using the web builder and simply published them as hidden pages until they were ready to go live.
Result: Through review, feedback, and adjustments, the accepted prototypes were set visible and the old pages were archived away.
Objective: Help owners adopt and enforce the rebranded identity when out in the field.
Deliverables: I designed print materials incorporating the new identity, such as: advertisements, brochures, vehicle wraps, business cards, stationery, and labels.
Result: The branded materials created brand awareness and consistency that unified that overall Prostone experience beyond the digital space.